1. Connect to the server with the IP: SkittleMC.com | See you there!
    Dismiss Notice

Announcement Regarding the server lag

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Steven, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Steven

Steven Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi guys,

Introduction:
    You may notice if you PvP a lot or are just generally playing that there's a significant amount of movement lag, and overall block/command lag (though it is hard to notice if you are just doing casual things).

We have even hired an optimization expert to fine tune the server however due to the amount of players we have been getting recently it is hard to push the server to its limits, given how unoptimized the 1.11.2 server software really is.

Main source of lag:
    The main culprit of our lag comes from chunk lag - that is hackers flying around our world at top speed consuming resources as the server has to keep up with generating new chunks while they load tens or even hundreds of chunks per second.

It is not just limited to hackers abusing fly speed however, because we offer free fly chunk lag is unfortunately one of the things we have to deal with.

What we're doing to fix this:
    Because our world border is 50k by 50k, and because not all chunks in that area are fully generated, we have to generate the remaining 32 million chunks to satisfy all chunks in that area. So, we've ended up buying a second machine strictly for chunk processing.

On this chunk processing machine, we are generating all the missing chunks in the 50k x 50k area thousands of times per second. We have started this process last night (Monday) and hope to have it completed by Wednesday night or Thursday morning.

When this chunk processing completes, this means that we will be able to allow /fly speed again, and people will be able to fly around our world at top speed without us having to worry about it being hard on resources etc, as all chunks in that 50k x 50k area would have all been generated.

Conclusion:
    Around Wednesday/Thursday all lag pertaining to chunk loading, our main source of lag should no longer be an issue. I hope you were able to make some sense out of what you just read, but if not feel free to leave your questions below and I can answer them. :)

~ Steven

2. Siruoha

Siruoha Trial-Moderator
    Staff Member

That's great. Just wondering if you guys were aware but when people by the flying ability and they type /speed it says "currently disabled" or something along those lines. But, it also gave all of us with the ability to speed fly the command /fspeed. /fspeed was not blocked and players with the ability were able to use it. That may have been causing a large amount of the lag. Bandwidth removed the permissions for the command just yesterday. Do you think this could of had some impact on the lag?

Puppylover_1502 likes this.
  3. Steven

Steven Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, we saw some performance increase after disabling /fspeed, but even then we still have these kids and their hacked clients flying around our world at high speed, and it's difficult to track them down.

But yeah, pre-loading all missing chunks on a separate machine will be a permanent solution to all of this.

Puppylover_1502 and RodgersMDH like this.
  4. Siruoha

Siruoha Trial-Moderator
    Staff Member

Great. Now I got something to look forward to for this week. :p :);)

5. Uni

Uni Registered Member

Nice, the server gives me a bit of lag here and then pvp makes me seriously laggy nice to see something being implemented which the server will enjoy a lot.

Maya_Leila likes this.
  6. Siruoha

Siruoha Trial-Moderator
    Staff Member

I usually get kicked for "Loading too many packets" and I have heard that several others players have gotten that as well. When I say usually I mean every hour. Is that from these chunk generation issues?

7. SuperEthos

SuperEthos Registered Member

I just get some reappearing blocks, but that's manageable when you play on servers with 3 ticks per second on a daily basis.

8. SmartBreeze

SmartBreeze Registered Member

NOOO! Who leaked /fspeed? Jk idek I tried using it and it didn't work (yes I have /flyspeed bought, I literally bought it 10 mins before it was disabled)

Also, it's good to finally get a date on when flyspeed will be back.

9. Siruoha

Siruoha Trial-Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, sorry I leaked fspeed. I knew there was a reason for disabling /speed so I just showed BandWidth.

10. ZeLegendaryTim

ZeLegendaryTim Registered Member

11. BradyGalaxy

BradyGalaxy Registered Member

Yeah, when I've been playing, I put all my things in a chest. When I walk away from the chest, all my things are back in my inventory. It's very annoying :(

Thank you for increasing the border to decrease lag :) :D

12. Chubbeh Poneh

Chubbeh Poneh Registered Member

Yes CHUBBEH PONEH has experienced this

13. MamaRayne

MamaRayne Registered Member

@Steven Do you think once the process is finished, that you'd be willing to enable (low but higher than it already is) natural Mob Spawning or even selling Spawners in either /buy or /shop ? Seeing that there's a handful of people creating shops, and as a shop owner myself, I think it'd be useful to do this.

Spawners
    Pros- Having farms in on area where you'd want them and shops would grow.
    Con- Some people already have over $100 million in game, so many spawners would be bought which results in a ton of lag if someone created an AFK farm.

(Low) Natural Mob Spawning
    Pros- Anyone and everyone would have access to all mobs in the world and shops would grow. (This does not include the Ender Dragon and Wither)
    Cons- Seeing that mobs would be literally everywhere but in stacks, there would still be a lag issue.

14. Siruoha

Siruoha Trial-Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, we have some players who are literally billionaires and they could make a mob grinder with as many spawners as they would like.

15. IronWilder

IronWilder Retired Staff

More spawners would be great especially if we could buy them from a server shop, but spawner value is very low and I'm afraid the price would drop even lower.

silverscorpion77 likes this.
  16. silverscorpion77

silverscorpion77 Registered Member

Couldnt agree more with this. Spawner hunting is a great way to make money for people, (due to lack of other ways to make money***) so there are tons of spawner shops and spawners floating around. I think introducing it to the shop would make the prices drop further, unless they were quite expensive. Maybe something like:

Zombie 600k
    Skeleton 600k
    Cave Spider 500k
    Spider 500k
    Blaze 1,000,000

.. at minimum. if they are less then this then the server would be flooded with spawners, which could effect the economy. Im sure it wouldnt be too big of a deal in the long run but personally I'd hope that a bit of thought goes into their prices if they become available for purchase.

***Also, unrelated sidenote: Are there any plans for a server buy and sell shop? Particularly interested in the selling aspect.

I used to play on a server where the name of the game was to become rich, very similarly to how Skittle is. BUT the only difference was that the /warp shop on that server was a physical shop where you could buy and sell tons of different natural resources from brick to cactus to dirt to diamonds they had a huge selection of buy and sell. This created a large competition for farming, people would create these really huge and amazing farming structures that were more efficient then the last one, and it was a lot of fun climbing to the top because your method(s) of money making were better then your competition.

The market looked very similar to these, except it was just an item frame/block that displayed what was there, and then of course the buy and sell sign above it.
    [​IMG]

Of course this wouldnt be easy to carry out, youd have to put a lot of time and consideration into the economy, doing studies on how much money is worth, how much items sell for, and how setting a base buy and sell price could effect everyone that has any sort of net value on the server.

But yeah, I personally thought that was a really fun server and I was wondering if Skittle had any sort of plans to do something at least similar to this?

BrokenDawn36146 likes this.
  17. Chubbeh Poneh

CHUBBEH PONEH hates lag once there was so much lag CHUBBEH PONEH wasn't CHUBBEH anymore

18. SuperEthos

SuperEthos Registered Member

Does anyone else find the chubby pony thing powerfully annoying?

19. Chubbeh Poneh

No CHUBBEH PONEH thinks not

20. MamaRayne

MamaRayne Registered Member

There is a well known buy/sell shop on the server *cough Warp Unicorn cough* where everyone can buy what they want and sell their junk to make some monies~ ❤

Chubbeh Poneh likes this.